An Interesting Article
on the Preservation and Maintenance of Cold Springs School
by Teresa Keen
Please click here to open pdf file.
Cold Springs School is an historic display of the Highland Rim Historical Society in Portland (Sumner County), Tennessee.
Over the years, Cold Springs School has served a variety of purposes,
A Civil War Hospital
A One-Room Schoolhouse
A Private Residence
A Farm Building
Today, Cold Springs School has been fully restored into a one-room schoolhouse.
Cold Springs School is located in Richland Park in Portland, Tennessee, just north of the Portland Public Library of Sumner County. The Library is located at 301 Portland Blvd, Portland, TN 37148.
Historical Marker erected May 31, 1994
COLD SPRING SCHOOL
2.8 miles northeast is the site of Cold Spring School. It was built on land donated in May 1857 by Thomas Baskerville for a school and meeting-house. Early in the Civil War, it was used by Camp Trousdale as a military hospital. There, in 1866, David Lipscomb organized the Portland Church of Christ. Landowners Jim and Bill McGlothlin gave the schoolhouse to the citizens of Portland for a museum of local history. In September 1975, it was relocated to Richland Park."
In The Little Red School House
Billy Jones and Ernest Hare
This is a funny recording from 1922 about life in a little red school house. While not specifically about Cold Springs School, the song probably reflects the kind of things that happened at Cold Springs! Click here to launch an MP3 player and listen to the song.
Billy and Ernest performed as "The Happiness Boys" on radio. See the Wikipedia article for more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Happiness_Boys